Sunday 7 May 2023

MPL Philippines Season 11 Finals [Day 4] - ECHO and Blacklist Finals Rematch

The last three days have been crazy, tiring, and fun due to my packed schedule with both my regular work and my coverage of the MPL Philippines Season 11 finale, which was held at the SMX Convention Center in Pasay City. 


It's the last day of the tournament, and the first game is a do-or-die match between Echo and RSG Slate Philippines. The winner will face Blacklist International in the finals at 5 PM.

Big thanks to Keith, the PR head at Moonton Media for providing me with two guest passes for the finals under the names of my wife and son. My son is a big fan of Yawi and Echo and this will be his first time watching tournament live.

We left the house at 11 AM and managed to arrive by 12:30 PM, in time to catch the first game.


ECHO vs RSG Slate Philippines (Playoffs)

It was an exciting and close game that ended after five sets, with the M3 Champions Echo winning 3-2 and advancing to the finals. They have also qualified for the MSC 2023 tournament.

I also bumped into Mika Salamanca at the venue. 


I was allowed to bring my child into the press room, where he had the opportunity to meet Light and Irrad of RSG Slate Philippines. 


We had a quick lunch at Popeyes and also met several professional players including Exort and Emman of RSG Slate PH, Coach Master the Basics, Jeymz of Echo, and Hesu of TNC.


Around 4 PM, we went back to the function room to secure a good seats for the finals. The seats are all being occupied by the attendees. 


MPL Philippines Opening

The SEA Games Mobile Legends team representatives appeared on stage (Bren Esports).


Filipino-American artist Jessica Sanchez and Filipino R&B singer Alisson Shore performed the official song of Mobile Legends, titled "Lakas ng Pinas." 


I returned to the pressroom for the press conference of Jessica Sanchez and Alisson Shore. 


I also had the chance to talk to them personally and didn't miss the opportunity to take a photo with them.


Echo Philippines vs Blacklist International (Finals) 

The M3 champions versus the M4 champions. Blacklist hasn't lost in the MPL Philippines finals and a lot are cheering for them to win the tournament.

Surprisingly, Echo is too much for Blacklist to handle as the sweep the defending champions, 4-0, to claim the crown as the new MPL Philippines Champions for season 11.


Sanford also bagged the Finals MVP award. I am happy for him as I have witnessed his journey from being a sixth man with NXP and now a world champion, MPL PH champ and Finals MVP.

Props to Blacklist as no one is expected them to reach the finals as they haven't been consistent during the regular season but showed a different form in the playoffs. I am wishing them good luck in the MSC tournament.

It was really hard to take photos of the event due to our limited access and also the jam packed venue. 

After the match, me and my son went to the press room as we waited for Echo for the post match press conference.


After the press conference, my son was able to meet his favorite team Echo and his favorite player Yawi.


Also had my photo with Team Echo, unfortunately I wasn't able to have a photo with Yawi as he still has an interview and we needed to leave already. I also met Jiji Plays also from Echo after the match.


My son had a blast with his first MPL Philippines experience and then we had a late dinner at Mendokoro Ramenba across SMX Convention Center.


Overall, it was a tiring and amazing 3-day coverage for me. I was able to meet a lot of new people from the media, players, casters and coach. I also had fun with the media activities including the mini-tournament and quiz night. 

Props to Moonton for taking care of the media and providing us with the things that we need in the coverage including the food.


I also enjoyed bonding with my son with our same interest which is Mobile Legends and also to my supportive wife for joining us.

Photos for taken using Nikon D750 and Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra for ABS-CBN Sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment